Location: Tanzania, Tanzania Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and TeamWork • Transparency and Accountability
• Efficiency and Professionalism
Reports to: Registrar
Directorate/Department: Registry of the African Court Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Arusha, Tanzania
Deadline: January 26, 2023
Purpose of Job
To provide operational leadership support to the Court on legal issues.
- Is responsible for case management.
- Reviews briefs and sources submitted by parties.
- Monitors and reviews the Rules of the Court, practice directions and other internal instruments of the Court.
- Is focal point for networking activities and organises meetings, seminars, workshops and other promotional activities of the Court.
- Coordinates the work of other staff.
• Carries out legal analysis of judgments and submissions.
• Prepares the draft minutes, memoranda and decisions of the Court, and where necessary, attends Court sessions.
• Carries out legal research and prepare presentations in international law in general, legislation and jurisprudence of international courts.
- Provides legal opinions and makes concrete recommendations on issues concerning the Court.
- Prepares draft concept notes, work plan, agendas, work programmes for activities of the Court.
- Performs any other duties as required. Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s in Law with at least seven (7) years of relevant professional working experience of which three (3) should be at expert level, preferably in an international organization or in a judicial institution.
Bachelor’s Degree in Law with at least ten (10) years of relevant professional working experience of which three (3) should be at expert level, preferably in an international organization or in a judicial institution
Specialization in public international law will be an added advantage. Perfect command of Portuguese Language is prefered.
Knowledge of one or several other African Union working Languages will be an added advantage.
- Leadership skills;
- Knowledge of the African human rights system;
- Analytical skills and ability to prepare legal submissions, opinions and motions;
- Ability to work under minimum supervision;
- Public relations and communication;
- Capacity to manage a multicultural team;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Drafting and argumentative skills in one of the African Union working languages;
- Planning and organizational skills;
- Computer literacy. Leadership Competencies Strategic Insight …. Change Management…. Managing Risk
Accountable and Complies with Rules.. Learning Orientation …. Communicating with Influence ….
Job Knowledge and Information Sharing …. Drive for Result ….
Continuous improvement orientation ….
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (42% of basic salary), a Housing allowance of US$ 19,530.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than January 26, 2023
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered. The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply