Deadline for application : 07/02/2022 09:43
The ACtHPR is charged with the responsibility to protect and ensure the effective enjoyment of human and peoples’ rights in Africa. Since its operationalization in 2006, this AU organ has charted a viable path for the protection of human rights in Africa. Its establishment has brought renewed hope and optimism on the African continent, and since its operationalization, it has positioned itself firmly as one of the pivotal instruments in the quest for continental integration, peace, greater unity and solidarity, good governance, respect for human rights and development.
At the moment, the Registry is working to promote consistency and higher quality translations of judgments, advisory opinions and other decisions of the Court and improve the overall communication between the Institution, its staff, partners and other stakeholders by managing its terminology. For this purpose, a Consultant Terminologist is required to work collaboratively with staff in the Language Unit and relevant divisions/departments to develop a web-based English-French Central Terminology and Reference Database. The consultant will also be requested to develop and provide off-the-shelf electronic language tools needed for the smooth linguistic functioning of the Institution. The Project is facilitated by the ACtHPR’s Registry
Project or context description
The scope of the AGA-SP project covers the objectives of the 2018-2022 Joint Africa-EU Strategy (JAES) that defines “Strengthening Resilience, Peace, Security and Governance” as one of four key priorities and also the Memorandum of Understanding on Peace, Security and Governance between the African Union and the EU, signed in May 2018.
Thus, the project addresses the goal of the AU to reinforce good governance, Human Rights and democratic participation of African citizens. It aims at reinforcing the action of key AGA organs in a specific number of areas, improving Human Rights tools compliance and enhancing AGA visibility up to the local level. It will also improve the coordination, cooperation and synergy between the key AGA human rights and democratic governance organs, in order to increase their collective leverage and voice. The project brings direct support to six AGA Platform members and others members might benefit indirectly from some project activities.
The overall objective is to contribute to the achievement of Aspiration 3 and 6 of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 “An Africa of good governance, respect for human rights, justice and the rule of law” (Aspiration 3) and “An Africa, whose development is people driven, relying on the potential of African people, especially its women and youth, and caring for children” (Aspiration 6).
The general objective is to strengthen the capacity of African Governance Architecture (AGA) Platform members and to promote the effective coordination and cooperation among them.
The ideal consultant will have the following academic and professional qualifications and skills:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in translation, foreign languages or any closely related discipline. Qualifications in Terminology Management and/or Machine Translation would be an added advantage.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years practical experience in translation and/or terminology), at least three (3) of which should have been spent working in or with an international organization.
- Experience in Neural Machine Translation or sequence-to-sequence models.
- Strong analytical skills and language technology experience.
- Experience in computational linguistics, language data processing, semantics, or syntax.
- Open-mindedness and willingness to learn.
- Research and terminology development skills.
- Full knowledge of industry-leading computer-assisted translation, TM and terminology tools (e.g. MultiTrans, SDL Trados Studio SDLMultiterm, MemoQ, etc.)
- Proficiency in translation of documents into French/English or English/French.
- Ability to work with standard Microsoft software used in the Court.
- Practical knowledge of terminology management applications.
- Ability to communicate excellently (written and oral) in English and French.
- Demonstrated strong project management ability and excellent communication skills- References and examples of past work are required and should be included in the proposal.
- Language: the consultant should speak French and English, speaking other working languages of the African Union will be an advantage.