The African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Court) was established by virtue of Article 1 of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Establishment of an African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights, (the Protocol) to complement the protective mandate of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (the Commission), with a view to enhancing the protection of human rights on the continent.
The Court now requires the services of a consultant to assist it in providing 1st level support to Judges and Staff during its Sessions, and s/he will be required to deal with technical support queries as deemed necessary.
The Consultant will be part of the IT team responsible for supporting users and IT systems on daily basis.
S/he will be placed under the overall supervision of the Head of Finance and Administration Division, and the direct supervision of the IT Specialist.
2. OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The objective of the consultancy is to provide a local 1st level support to Judges and Staff during the Sessions so that the sessions are smoothly conducted.
3. SCOPE OF WORK
The Consultant will be required to deal with technical support queries as deemed necessary in the following working environments.
I. User management:
• Provide first level technical support to Judges and Staff at the Office.
• Diagnose user faults e.g., Connectivity to Virtual meetings, logon issues, profile faults,
permission errors etc.
• Configure Outlook to enable users access their emails.
• Assist Judges and Staff in accessing and uploading session documents to the OneDrive.
Assist in troubleshooting, configuring and installing PCs, peripheral hardware, printers,
• Assist in diagnosing Network faults
• Assist in ensuring that all mandated users to having access to the virtual session are
• Assist in the distribution of IT equipment.
• Assist in performing patches /upgrade of user systems.
• Assist in ensuring that all computers connected to the court network have an updated
• Assist legal staff and court clerks in having access to the case management
information and documentation system.
• Log and respond to support calls and where required escalate to the IT Specialist.
• Provide telephone and face to face support.
• Have the ability to prioritize tasks in order of importance.
• Have an excellent command of English and French.
• Have the ability to work individually as well as part of a team.
• Have the ability to understand and accept confidentiality as it is at the Court.
• Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be directed to him from time to time.
4. KEY DELIVERABLES
Having a well-developed first level IT support and an accessible service support team.
A relevant degree level qualification or equivalence in computer science / Information
technology with a minimum of 02 (two) years’ experience working within an IT support role.
Ideally, he/she should be at least having 02 (two) or more years in the relevant IT works.
6. REQUIRED SKILLS
• Good knowledge and understanding of Microsoft and Mac Systems such as Microsoft
Operating Systems and Office versions 2013/2016/2019 and Office365
• Demonstrated expertise in Microsoft 10 Pro and Mac OS.
• Possess network infrastructure knowledge (specifically Wi-Fi and Wired networks).
• Ability to schedule own workload prioritizing to meet the business needs.
• Capable of working on own initiative, with a proactive and organized approach
• Adapt to a varying role and be flexible in working style.
• Configuration & Troubleshooting of Mobile Phones & Tablets as the main devices used
at the Court.
• Highly skilled in installing, repairing and troubleshooting Printers, Scanners and
• Well-versed in installing software, applications, antivirus and patches.
• Adept at repairing computer hardware
Page 3 of 4
• Expert user of Video Conferencing tools (Zoom, Ms Teams, WebEx etc) and, Microsoft
Office and Office365 Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint Access, Yammer,
• Proficient in working with users remotely.
• Demonstrate a support focused attitude.
• Excellent interpersonal and team skills.
• Fluency in English and/or French and any other African Union recognised language