In order to ensure that the best possible environment for research is provided for all users, each user of the library will be required to abide by the Library Rules and Regulations listed below.
- The library is a place for silent and private study. Users must therefore maintain silence at all times.
- All users are required to present an identity card or similar document before using the library.
- Library materials must not be marked, defaced, mutilated or annotated in any way.
- Consultations and discussions in the Library are strictly prohibited. The court provides other areas for such activity.
- Users must observe copyright regulations and provision in respect of all library items.
- The PCs in the library are meant for searching the library database and the Internet only.
- Readers are requested to use the coat stand and baggage area provided at the Library entrance for their personal belongings.
- The number of items that a user may borrow at any given time will be as follows:
- Judges and the Registrar: 5 books for 3 months
- Legal officers: 5 books for 1 month.
- Other staff members: 3 books for one month.
- External users: These cannot borrow and take away items. They can only use items in the library, with the permission of the Registrar.
- Users’ library details will be contained in a bar code which will be embedded on to the staff ID card.
- Users will therefore need to present their ID cards at the check out counter.
- Borrowed items may not be lent to third parties.
- Users must immediately inform the library of changes in their contact address.
- Loss or damage of any library items must be immediately reported to the library.
- No library item shall be taken out of the Library without due procedure.
- Books/Journals must be left on the tables where they were used. Users should not return them to the shelves. This will be done by the librarians.
- Lost or damaged items shall be replaced at the cost of the borrower, at the prevailing market rates and a USD 10 administrative fee.
- The Library will not engage in interlibrary loans until such a time when the collection is large enough. It will however seek to obtain items for its users from other libraries.
Conduct in the library
- Mobile telephones must be switched off and may not be used in the reading room.
- Discussions and consultations are not allowed in the library.
- Smoking and eating are not permitted in the Library.
- Notices may not be displayed in the Library without the approval of the Librarian.
- Personal items should not be left unattended in the library. The library shall not accept responsibility for loss or damage to such items.
- Bags, briefcases, raincoats, and umbrellas shall not be taken into the Library, but should be left at the baggage area near the exit.
- Desks and furniture should not be moved without the permission of the Librarian.
- Users should demonstrate courtesy to other users and staff at all times.